Learn how to backcountry ski course that takes place off-piste and reviews skills needed to feel confident participating. This course touches on skills related to avalanche safety this is not an avalanche course and is designed to prepare you to move toward skiing on your own. This course will orient you to the skills needed to competently and efficiently gain access to terrain in the backcountry. Course date and times are up to you. Just contact us for availablity.
Contact us to request a date
We will cover:
- Appropriate clothing, equipment and accessories
- How to interpret the avalanche bulletin
- Intro to avalanche transceiver, probe and shovel
- Uphill touring techniques with climbing skins
- Navigation and route finding
- Downhill travel techniques
- Turns, turns, turns!
- Avalanche and weather report interpretation
- Orientation and use of backcountry equipment
- Transition from ski area to backcountry
- AMGA trained ski mountaineering guide, 6:1 maximum ratio
- Mt. Rose Ski Patrol Support
- Mt. Rose lift tickets as needed
- Clothing for activities and standing in cold/snowy weather (no cotton)
- long underwear
outer layer (wind/waterproof)
- warm gloves, mitts, headband, and hat
- Goggles and sunglasses
- Small personal first aid kit (sunscreen/lip-balm, moleskin, band-aids, medication, etc.)
- Water Bottle
- Personal Skiing, Snowboarding, or Snowshoeing equipment.